Give Aravazhi a second chance at life!
In Nov 2020, Aravazhi, a 49-year-old from Tamil Nadu was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS). A condition where the bone marrow cells do not develop into mature blood cells. Instead, these blood cells stay within the bone marrow in an immature state. He now needs a stem cell transplantation as a life-saving treatment measure.
Urgent need for a lifesaver
- His doctors at CMC, Vellore are searching for an unrelated HLA-matching blood stem cell donor.
- You can help Aravazhi and other patients in need.
- Join our community of lifesavers by registering as a potential blood stem cell donor today!
Become a donor
"Despite being a registered and potential blood stem cell donor himself, he now needs a matching donor."
How we can beat blood cancer together?
DKMS-BMST has been working to find the right donor for patients suffering from blood cancer and blood disorders in India. So far, we have facilitated 32 blood stem cell donations. For a stem cell donation, the tissue characteristics of the donor must match those of the patient. When you join the stem cell registry you are on standby to be matched and potentially save the life of anyone with a blood cancer or blood disorder who needs a blood stem cell donation. You can be the right person and with your stem cell donation a real lifesaver.
Our videos answer the most important questions about registration and stem cell donation. Learn how you can register with DKMS-BMST and become a lifesaver.
DKMS-BMST donor's stem cell donation experience
How does blood stem cell donation work?
Good to know...
- For many people with a blood cancer or blood disorder, a donation from a matching blood stem cell donor is their best chance of survival.
- With blood stem cell donation, only blood stem cells are donated, not blood, and matches are determined by tissue type, not blood group.
- Your blood stem cells will completely replenish themselves within 1-2 weeks of the collection.
- Many people in India can't find a suitable matching donor, as the Indian donors are underrepresented in the worldwide database.
- Your blood stem cells will never be stored, they last for around 72 hours and are delivered straight to the person in need by a special courier.
- You will stay on the registry until your 61st birthday!
Could you be the match for Aravazhi?
Are you ready to become a potential lifesaver? Join the registry now