21-year-old Yash is suffering from Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), a type of blood cancer and urgently needs a tissue-matching blood stem cell donor to get a second chance at life.
Urgent need for a lifesaver
Life was pretty normal for Yash until one day, he discovered that he has AML, a form of blood cancer.
AML is characterized by the rapid growth of abnormal cells that build up in the bone marrow and blood, thus interfering with the normal blood cell production.
Be the Guardian Angel for Yash or for any patient in need of a Blood Stem Cell Transplant
Become a donor
Yash's Cry for Help
- He is pursuing Medicine (MBBS) at Kasturba Medical College in Mangalore. This is a dream for about more than half of Indian population.
- He is a promising player of the college cricket team, he also likes to cook and experiment with new and exotic dishes.
- All of this changed in November 2019, when Yash had persisting fever and headache for 3 days. When they found that his blood T-Helper cells were abnormally high.
“Yash is very calm and composed, and conducts himself very well for his age!” - Himanshu (Yash's brother)
Could you be the genetic match for the patient?
Are you ready to become a potential lifesaver? Join the registry now
How we can beat blood cancer together?
DKMS-BMST has been working to find the right donor for patients suffering from blood cancer and blood disorders in India. So far, we have facilitated 32 blood stem cell donations. For a stem cell donation, the tissue characteristics of the donor must match those of the patient. When you join the stem cell registry you are on standby to be matched and potentially save the life of anyone with a blood cancer or blood disorder who needs a blood stem cell donation. You can be the right person and with your stem cell donation a real lifesaver.
Our videos answer the most important questions about registration and stem cell donation. Learn how you can register with DKMS-BMST and become a lifesaver.
Rahul Dravid wants to be your fan
How does blood stem cell donation work?
- For many people with a blood cancer or blood disorder, a donation from a matching blood stem cell donor is their best chance of survival.
- With blood stem cell donation, only blood stem cells are donated, not blood and matches are determined by tissue type, not blood group.
- Your blood stem cells will completely replenish themselves within 1-2 days of the collection.
- Many people in India can't find a suitable matching donor, as the Indian donors are underrepresented in the worldwide database.
- Your blood stem cells will never be stored, they last for around 72 hours and are delivered straight to the person in need by a special courier.
- You will stay on the registry until your 61st birthday!